As a dog mama, how many times have you looked across the room and watched your furry friend snooze away peacefully without a single care in the world? And how many times have you envied him for having the luxury to sleep all day long?
According to research, dogs spend 50% of their day sleeping, 30% awake but simply lying around and only 20% time being super active. Thus, on average, a dog sleeps for almost 12-14 hours per day.
Now picture this, we are a species who sleep for about 7-8 hours per day and need the most comfortable mattresses, pillows and blankets for our slumber. If we aren’t able to sleep properly for even a night, we have a fitful and restless day. So isn’t it obvious that even our dogs must have certain bedding needs to help them have a great sleep time?
It is a very common misconception that dogs are comfortable sleeping on the floor or on our beds. The truth is their body is built differently than ours and hence their needs are different than ours. A dog bed is specifically designed with a dog’s body in mind. Its size, material and the height of the mattress are tailor-made for your pawsome baby.
There are numerous benefits of investing in a good dog bed.
- It enhances their quality of sleep. So, when your dog wakes up he is happy and ready for some fun. His mood remains positive and not cranky or destructive.
- It helps them in maintaining their posture in the long run. Like us human beings, even a dog’s body is prone to wear and tear especially with the joints and hips. A dog bed ensures they don’t feel stiffness or soreness around their elbows or hips or back after a long nap.
- It reinforces the concept of “my space” for them. Every dog needs a little bit of personal space, where they won’t be disturbed and are safe from the rest of the world. A dog bed acts as that space. It becomes their personal “chill area” and most dogs are happy to spend the entire day on or around their beds.
- It saves your furniture! Yes, if you are not a fan of your dog constantly jumping on the couch or your bed and digging through it to make himself comfortable, then a dog bed is definitely the answer. Once a dog finds out that his bed is far more appealing than yours, all the furniture in the house is safe.
Let’s tackle the next big question what are orthopedic dog beds and does my dog need one?
Orthopedic dog beds are beds created to give your dog extra support when they sleep. The memory foam technology adapts itself to your dog’s sleeping style and fills in the gaps allowing the pressure points in his body to be released. An orthopedic dog bed helps increase the blood flow in your pooch’s system holistically. It also helps in keeping your dog’s joints, elbows and hips in shape over time. If your dog’s breed is prone to diseases such as arthritis, hip dysplasia, bone or joint issues or is extremely skinny by nature, then investing in an orthopedic dog bed is a necessity. If a dog sleeps on an orthopedic dog bed from a very young age then the chances of all the ailments that might come to him as he ages are reduced.
- Cozy “cave-like” dog beds: If your dog is from a small-sized breed, he may love a bed that allows him to sleep snug inside a cave like bed, which is warm and emanates a sense of safety.
- Waterproof dog beds: If your pooch loves getting dirty in the mud, it can be a hassle to keep your home clean all the time. A waterproof dog bed will ensure that all your dog’s fuzziness remains in one corner, and as it is waterproof, you don’t have to worry about any water damages to the bed.
- Travelling dog beds: If you and your furry companion are regular travellers, then investing in a light-weight travelling dog bed is a
great choice. The bed gives your dog a feeling that no matter where you go, you are taking his home with him!
- Chew-proof dog beds: These beds are designed for heavy chewers who can chew through literally anything! The material is sturdy and comfortable. And the best part is you don’t have to worry about your dog destroying it in a matter of minutes.
When choosing a dog bed please bear in mind your dog’s personality, his sleeping style and his physical needs. Once you find an ideal bed for your dog, it’s nothing but sweet dreams and soft snores every day!
Confused about selecting the perfect bed for your pooch? Read this to melt all your doubts away: How to select the perfect dog bed